Tuesday 22 January 2013

Disney buys Star Wars – a new film trilogy to start in 2015 with Episode VII (November 2012)

[Note: this was written back around the time this news came out] “I’ve got a bad feeling about this”... I really don’t know how I feel about this news or maybe how I should feel. A sense of excited anticipation mixed with dread I suppose. Firstly I am a big Star Wars fan and always have been. I watched the Classic Trilogy at a very young age (three or four) and have been obsessed ever since. Along with the originals, the Prequel Trilogy was also an integral part of my up-bringing and seeing the films at the cinema were all life defining moments. However in 2005 with the release of ‘Revenge of the Sith’ it felt as if the series had culminated to a close with its final motion picture instalment. George Lucas himself has said billions of times that there were going to be no more. So you can see how this news for me and millions around the world is earth shattering. Especially when you see Lucas sold his franchise for over $4, it’s easy to be sceptical and think that this is just another money making exercise. Plus let’s face it, the film might rubbish. However I have not lost all hope. Disney also own Marvel and seeing as ‘The Avengers’ turned out pretty well who’s to say it won’t be the same for Star Wars. They just need a good director (my wish would be Joss Whedon... thinking about it I would rather they bring back Firefly than Star Wars) with a solid story and boom you have another great Star Wars film. Disney just needs to avoid creating another Jar Jar Binks, something I will never forgive Lucas for! Disney might just be a ‘new hope’ for Star Wars. On another note, does this make Princess Leia a Disney Princess?

No comments:

Post a Comment